Tips To Prevent Mold In Your Home
During the hotter months, mold is more likely to show up and thrive in these hot temperatures. It's important to notes these tips so you're not dealing with mold growth in your home.
- Always use your air conditioner on days that reach up to 77 degrees
- if some rooms in your home tend to have a high humidity rate, purchase a dehumidifier to reduce the moisture in the room
- Keep an eye out for moisture or condensation on your air ducts
- Make sure windows and doors are completely closed when it rains to prevent water from soaking in the floors and windowsills
- Check for leaks in your roof to prevent mold growth from sitting water
Contact SERVPRO of Chesterfield and SERVPRO of Tri-Cities Plus if you see signs of mold in your home. 804.378.2323.
The Importance of Smoke Alarms
Smoke alarms not only alert you when there may be a fire in the home, but they can also save your life. During a fire, smoke spreads fast and the smoke alarm will give you early warning to get out safely.
Follow these safety tips from the National Fire Protection Association:
- Replace your smoke alarm at least every 10 years
- Install a smoke alarm in every bedroom, on every level of the home, and in the basement
- It is recommended to use interconnected smoke alarms so when one sounds, they all sound
- At least once a month, test your smoke alarm by pressing the test button to ensure it's working
- Install your smoke alarms away from the kitchen to reduce false alarms and they should be placed on the ceiling or high up on walls
Check out these Smoke Alarm Facts:
- About 3 out of 5 fire deaths occur in homes with no smoke alarms or no working alarms
- Closed doors may slow the spread of the fire, smoke and heat
- Most homes do not have the appropriate amount of smoke alarms for the number of bedrooms in the home
If you experience a fire or smoke damage in your home, please call the professionals at SERVPRO of Chesterfield and SERVPRO of Tri-Cities Plus at 804-378-2323.
Understanding Mold Remediation Process
At SERVPRO of Chesterfield and SERVPRO of Tri-Cities Plus, we understand mold. We understand what causes mold, what necessary steps to take, the right equipment to use, and of course, the prevention of future mold growth.
These steps listed below describe our process and the best practices when it comes to mold remediation.
- Contact SERVPRO of Chesterfield and SERVPRO of Tri-Cities Plus Immediately
The mold cleanup and restoration process begins when you call us. Our representative will ask a series of questions to help us determine the necessary equipment, resources, and personnel.
- Inspection and Mold Damage Assessment
We carefully inspect your property for visible signs of mold. Mold feeds on cellulose and water and can be hidden from plain view. We use various technologies to detect mold and hidden water sources.
- Mold Containment
Our professionals use various containment procedures to prevent the spread of mold. We may use advanced containment procedures like negative air chambers to isolate the contaminated area with physical barriers and negative air pressure to keep the mold spores from spreading during the cleanup process. All fans and heating and cooling systems will be turned off to prevent the spread of mold.
- Air Filtration
Our specialized filtration equipment allows our Professionals to capture microscopic mold spores out of the air. We utilize powerful “air scrubbers” and HEPA vacuums to prevent the spread of these mold spores while the mold remediation is in process.
- Removing Mold and Mold-Infested Materials
The mold remediation process depends on the amount of mold growth and the types of surfaces on which the mold appears. We’ll use antifungal and antimicrobial treatments to eliminate mold colonies and to help prevent new colonies from forming. It may be necessary to remove and dispose of mold-infested porous materials, like drywall and carpeting, to remediate heavy mold growth.
- Cleaning Contents and Belongings
We clean your furniture, decorative items, curtains, clothing, and other restorable items affected by mold. We use a variety of cleaning techniques to clean and disinfect your belongings. We’re also trained to remove odors and deodorization using fogging equipment.
Depending on the level of mold damage, drywall, subfloors, and other building materials may have been removed. Restoration may involve minor repairs, such as replacing drywall, painting, and installing new carpet; or it may entail major repairs such as the reconstruction of various areas or rooms in a home or business. The restoration step gets your home or business back to normal.
Water Damage - What To Do Before Help Arrives
When you experience a water damage in your home, it can be scary and cause you to panic. Of course you would immediately call a trusted plumber and the water damage experts at SERVPRO of Chesterfield and SERVPRO of Tri-Cities Plus, but what can you do until help arrives?
- First try and locate the source of the water damage and turn off the main water valve to stop the water from continuing to pour into your home.
- Never walk through deep water, but if safe and possible, turn the electricity off in the home.
- start trying to soak up as much water as possible using towels and mops. NEVER use a vacuum.
- if you have wood furniture that is affected with water, try placing foil under the legs or wood blocks to prop them out of the water, reducing the damage to your furniture.
- Cushions and other upholstery items should be propped up against a wall so there is even drying.
These are just some of the examples of things you can do while help arrives. Luckily, you won't have to wait long because our SERVPRO team will responded immediately to emergency water services to quickly begin the drying process in your home.
We Provide Sewage Cleanup
Sewage back-ups and toilet overflows are some of the most common issues home and business owners can experience. Water from sewer system backups should be considered very dangerous. The water is grossly unsanitary and may contain bacteria and viruses that could cause serious illness.
Special training and equipment is necessary to safely clean this type of contamination. That’s why it is important to call the professionals who have over 30 years of experience cleaning up these types of issues. SERVPRO of Chesterfield and SERVPRO of Tri-Cities Plus understands that there are three major types of contaminated water and the necessary steps to handle each scenario. We will inspect that contaminated water to determine the type of water and then plan the appropriate response to safely restore your home or business.
The Three Types of Water
Category 1: Clean Water
- Water from a clean source like a broken water line
- If left untreated, can degrade into category 2 or 3
Category 2: Gray Water
- May contain bacteria and viruses - may include washing machine overflow; toilet overflow with some urine, but no feces; or dishwasher overflow.
- Can quickly degrade into category 3 if left untreated.
Category 3: Black Water
- May contain untreated sewage, harsh chemicals, and microbes
- Water from flooding rivers or sewer backup
If your home or business experiences a sewage issue, it should be treated as quickly as possible. Call SERVPRO of Chesterfield and SERVPRO of Tri-Cities Plus at 804.378.2323 and our professionals will respond 24 hours a day for emergency services.
Prevent Water Damage After Rain Storm
Everyone can enjoy the occasional summer thunderstorm - but it could cause major problems if rain water seeps into your home. One of the most common sources of water damage in a home is from rain water. It can enter through leaks in your roof, seeping in from the foundation, or even flooding into your basement. It is important to take the necessary steps to prevent water damage in your home such as:
Checking for proper drainage:
- inspect your roof thoroughly for structural damage or holes
- clear your gutters from leaves and other debris that could block the flow of water from draining into the yard
Install or Check Sump Pumps:
- sump pump are very effective for keeping rainwater out of your house
- have a professional check your sump pump to insure it is working properly once a year
Check sealant inside and outside foundation
- make sure the tar sealant covering the inner and outer sides of the foundation are intact
Inspect the slope of your lawn
- grading is the slope of your lawn and it should always slope away from your home to redirect the rainwater from flooding around the foundations
When you are dealing with storm, flood, and water damage, immediate action is crucial. You should choose the company with storm damage experience and expertise that has the resources and equipment to handle the job. SERVPRO of Chesterfield and SERVPRO of Tri-Cities Plus can respond immediately to storm and flooding conditions.
Equipment Used For Fire Damage
We believe at SERVPRO of Chesterfield and SERVPRO of Tri-Cities Plus that the right tools for the job is vital to timely mitigation and restoration, but perhaps more important, SERVPRO of Chesterfield and SERVPRO of Tri-Cities Plus' fire damage professionals are thoroughly trained in fire cleanup and restoration. For instance, knowing the different types of smoke and their behavior patterns are vital to proper restoration.
- Wet Smoke – Plastics and Synthetics; Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary.
- Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood; Fast burning, high temperatures, dry, powdery, nonsmeary residues.
- Protein – Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
- Fuel Oil Soot – Furnace Puff Backs.
- Other Types – Tear gas, fingerprint powder and fire extinguisher residue.
Ultra Low Volume (ULV) Foggers will atomize liquid deodorizing agents, producing a fine mist that easily penetrates sites where odor-causing residues accumulate. The device can also be used to apply fungicides and disinfectants.
Thermal Foggers dispense solvent-based products in large volume, dense fogs suitable for confined areas. The fog consists of tiny particles of deodorant solution that pair with and neutralize odor-causing particles.
Luckily, in the Chesterfield, VA we do not experience the potential threats that tornadoes can have as often as other parts of the country. These places include the upper Mid-west, the northern and southern plains and the Gulf coast.
Tornado season usually refers to the time of year the U.S. sees the most tornadoes. The peak “tornado season” for the Southern Plains is during May into early June. On the Gulf coast, it is earlier during the spring. In the northern plains and upper Midwest, tornado season is in June or July. But, remember, tornadoes can happen at any time of year. Tornadoes can also happen at any time of day or night, but most tornadoes occur between 4–9 p.m.
However, it is always a good idea to be prepared in case a disaster strikes. About 1,200 tornadoes hit the U.S. yearly. Since official tornado records only date back to 1950, we do not know the actual average number of tornadoes that occur each year. Plus, tornado spotting and reporting methods have changed a lot over the last several decades.
SERVPRO of Chesterfield and SERVPRO of Tri-Cities Plus will respond 24-hours a day to emergency fire and water services. We are a proud partner with the Red Cross and take part in cleaning up damages after a storm. Our team is also an extreme team, meaning we can travel across the country to assist with a storm damage or very large loss. We have the tools and the people who have experience in water, storm, fire damage restoration and we are always here to help.
Are You Thunderstorm Prepared?
According to the Red Cross:
"A thunderstorm is considered severe if it produces hail at least 1 inch in diameter or has wind gusts of at least 58 miles per hour. Every thunderstorm produces lightning, which kills more people each year than tornadoes or hurricanes. Heavy rain from thunderstorms can cause flash flooding, and high winds can damage homes and blow down trees and utility poles, causing widespread power outages."
At SERVPRO of Chesterfield and SERVPRO of Tri-Cities Plus, we want you to understand the potential dangers a thunderstorm can have on your safety and property.
How to Prepare for Thunderstorms
- Learn about your local community’s emergency warning system for severe thunderstorms
- Discuss thunderstorm safety and lightning safety with all members of your household
- Pick a safe place in your home for household members to gather during a thunderstorm This should be away from windows, skylights and glass doors that could be broken by strong winds or hail
- Make a list of items to bring inside in the event of a severe thunderstorm
- Make trees and shrubbery more wind resistant by keeping them trimmed and removing damaged branches
- Protect your animals by ensuring that any outside buildings that house them are protected in the same way as your home
- Consult your local fire department if you are considering installing lightning rods
If your home or business is affected after a storm, call the professionals at SERVPRO of Chesterfield and SERVPRO of Tri-Cities Plus to make it "Like it never even happened."
COVID-19 Cleaning Study Reveals What Consumers Think About Reopening
The coronavirus pandemic has ushered in a new perspective as we all strive to get back to work, get back out, and get back to business. As we move toward this new normal, it’s hard to know just what your customers expect, and what you need to do as a business owner to make them feel comfortable about visiting your storefront again.
To find out more about what both consumers and employees are feeling as they fall back into their normal routines, SERVPRO® commissioned a survey to learn more about how consumer attitudes and expectations of cleanliness in regards to COVID-19 are affecting their decisions.
A new era of clean
The results confirmed that we’re entering into a new era of expectation of cleanliness for businesses. More than 80 percent of respondents said businesses need to be more aggressive now than before COVID-19 when it comes to cleaning. The cleaning protocols in place before COVID-19 hit will not be sufficient in today’s environment. In fact, a full 71 percent have higher cleanliness expectations for businesses than in their own homes.
Individuals continue to be nervous when going out, with nearly 70 percent saying they’re thinking about avoiding COVID-19 exposure constantly when they’re out in public. This statistic gives unique insight into consumers’ awareness level about the potential dangers that may exist when they go out, and their intense desire to avoid them. As business owners, putting proper cleaning and disinfection measures in place, and communicating that you’ve done so, is necessary to help inspire confidence that will help consumers become more willing to visit.
Beyond that, 76 percent of survey respondents said the way a business addresses cleanliness during COVID-19 is a good indicator of how well that business is run in general. So, it’s important to note that consumers are paying attention. They’re taking into account the level you’re going to in order to protect them now, and they’ll remember that in the future.
The level of clean, matters
There’s no shortage of anxiety when it comes to coronavirus, and nearly 60 percent reported they’re specifically worried about catching COVID-19 from touching surfaces or objects that haven’t been cleaned sufficiently. And the person doing the cleaning, makes a difference in the minds of consumers.
When all else is equal (product, price, service, convenience), 64 percent said they are more likely to shop at a business with a decal indicating professional cleaning, versus a store without such a decal.
So, how do you set yourself apart and inspire confidence with your customers now?
Certified cleaning program
Our Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned program is the answer. With a tailored cleaning program that is customized for your business needs, our expertly trained staff cleans and decontaminates your property according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention standards.
We use EPA-approved cleaning solutions, including our proprietary cleaning agent SERVPROXIDE, a hospital-grade disinfectant that is NSF certified for direct food contact surface use.
As a Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned participant, you’ll provide reassurance to your customers and employees that you’re taking all the steps needed to get the highest level of clean for them. This dedication will be on display through a decal window emblem, and other digital marks to show your commitment to clean.
Get a free quote by calling SERVPRO of Chesterfield and SERVPRO of Tri-Cities Plus at 804-378-2323.
*Proprietary study prepared by Message Factors, Inc. Results are based on experiences and perceptions of 1,000 consumers surveyed May 2020.