What To Do Before The Ice Storm Hits
What You Need Before the Ice Storm Hits
This past Saturday’s ice storm was one for the books. It was the biggest ice storm to his central Virginia is 20 years, causing massive power outages and hundreds of accidents on the roads. And now a new ice storm system is heading our way again tomorrow. If we’ve learned anything from Saturday, it’s that preparing for no power or heat is a must. Tree limbs can’t hold the weight of the ice and it’s inevitable for more to fall on the power lines, disrupting our comfort at home.
Check out this list of everything you need before the storm hits:
- Purchase a generator from your local hardware store
- Make sure you have enough candles, flashlights/lanterns and batteries
- Stock up on food and water
- If you have a wood burning fireplace, stock up on wood to keep warm
- Charge up your cell phones, laptops and other devices and purchase a portable cell phone charger
- Make sure you know where your main water shut off valves are located in case a pipe bursts
- Turn your refrigerator and freezer to the coldest setting
- Purchase some shake-activated hand warmers to keep you warm
During the storm, stay off the roads to avoid accidents. Make sure you have plenty of blankets and warm layers. It is also a good idea to stuff towels up again doorways to keep the heat inside and avoid leaks and drafts.