Tis The season For Safety
The NFPA reports local fire departments respond to an average of 250 Christmas tree related fires each year, with a majority of these fires caused by electrical problems. Make sure to take precautions this year.
- If you have an artificial tree, be sure it is labeled, certified, or identified by the manufacturer as fire retardent.
- If you choose a live tree, pick a tree with fresh needles that do not fall off when touched.
- Make sure the tree is at least three feet away from any heat source, like fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents or lights.
- Make sure the tree has plenty of water everyday.
- After the holidays, properly dispose of your tree. Dried-out trees can be a fire hazard and should not be left in home or garage, or placed outside the home.