Prepare Your Home for Summer Showers
Summer is almost here! The sun is shining, and the temperature is warming up, but this also means that it’s time for the summer rain! It’s important to take some time and make sure that your home is ready for the wet weather and also that the harsh winter hasn’t caused any damage. Here are a few things that you should look out for:
- Gutters – With potentially lots of rain on the horizon, your gutters are one of the main defenses you have at keeping water away from your home. Be sure to clean them out and clear any clogs. The heavy weight of snow and ice could have also caused some damage so you should also check to see if there are any leaks or cracks that need to be fixed. Finally, make sure that your downspout is properly aimed so that water coming from your gutters flows away from the home and doesn’t puddle near it.
- Windows – The winter weather can be brutal on the fixtures of your home. You should check the screens and make sure they aren’t damaged. Additionally, you should make sure there are no signs of leaks in the seals/caulking of your window to help prevent water damage and drafts.
- Roof – Look over your roof for any damaged or missing shingles that need replaced. You should also go into your attic and check for any signs of moisture or leaks.
- Siding – Cold temperatures and ice can cause damage to your siding. Walk around the outside of your house and look for any siding that may be extra worn or cracked and needs to be replaced.
- Foundation – Check the foundation of your home for any cracks that may have formed or gotten worse from the cold. A good rule of thumb is if you can fit a coin into the crack you might want to consider having someone come and inspect it to make sure it doesn't need to be repaired.
While this is no means an exhaustive list it’s a good place to start when making sure your home is ready for summer. Proper home maintenance goes a long way in preventing your house from being damaged by the elements, but sometimes things happen. Should you find your home struck by water damage from a summer rainstorm SERVPRO of Chesterfield and SERVPRO of Tri-Cities, Plus is here to help. Our team of professionals are available to help get your home back to “Like it never even happened.” Give us a call and let us know what we can do for you!