Hurricane Season is Almost Here
Hurricane season is almost in full swing. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration is predicting an above-normal and active Atlantic hurricane season. NAOO is predicting around 13 to 20 storms that could reach winds up to 39 mph or higher. This information is crucial for our community to know and understand so we can come together to spread awareness and prepare our homes and businesses for potential damage.
How to Prepare according to ready.gov:
- Make an Emergency plan - make sure everyone in your household understands what to do in case of an emergency. Make sure your business has a SERVPRO Emergency Ready Plan or continuity plan in place.
- Know your evacuation zone - follow local emergency instructions and learn your evacuation routes
- Recognize warnings and alerts - download the FEMA app to received real-time alerts from the National Weather Service
- Review important documents - check on your insurance policies, and purchase flood insurance if you think your home is at risk for flooding. Gather personal documents.
- Strengthen your home - clean out your gutters, clear debris from roof, remove outdoor furniture and other items susceptible to heavy wind.
- Get tech ready - purchase generators, cell phone backup chargers and keep electronics power up before a storm
- Help your neighborhood - check on senior neighbors and others who may need help buying supplies
- Gather supplies - make sure you have a fully stocked emergency kit with water, medication, pet supplies, flashlights, etc.