Fire Safety Facts and Tips
Our team at SERVPRO of Chesterfield and Tri-Cities, Plus wants you and your family to be in the know about fire safety and to always take precautions to avoid a fire in your home. According to the Red Cross, if a fire starts in your home you may have as little as two minutes to escape.
Tips for Fire Safety:
- Have a discussion with the entire family about a fire escape plan and practice the plan annually.
- install smoke alarms on every level of the home and especially inside bedrooms
- Make sure you test the smoke alarms every month and always have batteries on deck when they run out.
- If a fire occurs in your home, get out and call for help. Never go back inside to grab anything.
American Red Cross Fire Facts:
- The American Red Cross responded to more than 74,000 disasters in communities across the United States last year and 93 percent of these were fire-related.
- Sprinklers and smoke alarms together cut your risk of dying in a home fire 82% in relation to having neither.
- Smoking is the leading cause of home fire deaths.
- Fires kill more Americans each year than all natural disasters combined, and affect people from all backgrounds and geographic locations.
- Cooking fires are the leading cause of home fires and home fire injuries. And, two out of three cooking fires start with the range or stove