Commercial Sewage Cleanup and Restoration
Sewage back-ups and toilet overflows are some of the most common issues home and business owners can experience. Water from sewer system backups should be considered very dangerous. The water is grossly unsanitary and may contain bacteria and viruses that could cause serious illness.
Special training and equipment is necessary to safely clean this type of contamination. That’s why it is important to call the professionals who have over 30 years of experience cleaning up these types of issues. SERVPRO of Chesterfield understands that there are three major types of contaminated water and the necessary steps to handle each scenario. SERVPRO of Chesterfield will inspect that contaminated water to determine the type of water and then plan the appropriate response to safely restore your home or business.
The Three Types of Water
Category 1: Clean Water
- Water from a clean source like a broken water line
- If left untreated, can degrade into category 2 or 3
Category 2: Gray Water
- May contain bacteria and viruses - may include washing machine overflow; toilet overflow with some urine, but no feces; or dishwasher overflow.
- Can quickly degrade into category 3 if left untreated.
Category 3: Black Water
- May contain untreated sewage, harsh chemicals, and microbes
- Water from flooding rivers or sewer backup
If your home or business experiences a sewage issue, it should be treated as quickly as possible. Call SERVPRO of Chesterfield at 804.378.2323 and our professionals will respond 24 hours a day for emergency services.
Severe Weather - Tornado Season
Luckily, in the Chesterfield, VA we do not experience the potential threats that tornadoes can have as often as other parts of the country. These places include the upper Mid-west, the northern and southern plains and the Gulf coast.
Tornado season usually refers to the time of year the U.S. sees the most tornadoes. The peak “tornado season” for the Southern Plains is during May into early June. On the Gulf coast, it is earlier during the spring. In the northern plains and upper Midwest, tornado season is in June or July. But, remember, tornadoes can happen at any time of year. Tornadoes can also happen at any time of day or night, but most tornadoes occur between 4–9 p.m.
However, it is always a good idea to be prepared in case a disaster strikes. About 1,200 tornadoes hit the U.S. yearly. Since official tornado records only date back to 1950, we do not know the actual average number of tornadoes that occur each year. Plus, tornado spotting and reporting methods have changed a lot over the last several decades.
SERVPRO of Chesterfield will respond 24-hours a day to emergency fire and water services. We are a proud partner with the Red Cross and take part in cleaning up damages after a storm. SERVPRO of Chesterfield is also an extreme team, meaning we can travel across the country to assist with a storm damage or very large loss. We have the tools and the people who have experience in water, storm, fire damage restoration and we are always here to help.
A list of questions and answers about tornadoes can be found here
Commercial Mold Damage
Besides causing a major business interruption, a mold problem can present a serious health risk for people exposed at your commercial property.
Mold infestations can be caused by minor water intrusions, like a slow roof leak or loose plumbing fitting. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. If you suspect your property has a mold problem, call SERVPRO of Chesterfield, who will respond quickly and work fast to manage the situation.
Mold can spread quickly through a property if left untreated. SERVPRO of Chesterfield can respond quickly, working to first contain the infestation to help prevent its spread to other parts of the building. Next, we will begin the remediation process, working safely and effectively to manage the situation. We have the training, experience, and equipment to contain the mold infestation and remediate it to preloss condition.
Commercial Services in Chesterfield
SERVPRO of Chesterfield is the 2nd largest SERVPRO Franchise on the East Coast. Out of 1,700 franchises, SERVPRO of Chesterfield was ranked #4 Best Franchise in 2016. We take pride in our work and we provide great service to our local commercial businesses.
Cleaning and restoring commercial properties require a unique blend of training, experience, and equipment. SERVPRO of Chesterfield has the resources and expertise to give you excellent results while minimizing the disruption to your clients. We can help make it “Like it never even happened.”
Here is a list of some of the businesses we provide service to:
- Small Office Buildings
- Large Office/High-Rise Office Buildings
- Apartment Buildings
- Small Retail Stores
- Large Retail/Big-Box Stores
- High-Rise Residential
- Manufacturing & Industrial
SERVPRO of Chesterfield responds quickly to your Chesterfield fire, water, or mold damage emergency, 24 hours a day. Whether the damage occurs in a small business building or a big box store, we have the training, experience, and equipment to handle the situation.
Thunderstorm Safety And How to Prepare
Last night's severe thunderstorms inspired us here at SERVPRO of Chesterfield to share some thunderstorm safety information and give some tips on how to prepare for a storm.
Did you know SERVPRO of Chesterfield is a proud partner with the American Red Cross? According to the Red Cross, A thunderstorm is considered severe if it produces wind gusts of at least 58 miles per hour. Every thunderstorm produces lightning, which kills more people each year than tornadoes or hurricanes. Heavy rain from thunderstorms can cause flash flooding, and high winds can damage homes and blow down tree and utility poles - causing widespread power outages.
WATCH vs. WARNING
Watch: Severe thunderstorms are possible in and near the watch area
Warning: Severe weather has been reported by spotters or indicated by radar. Warnings indicate imminent danger to life and property.
- Learn about your local community’s emergency warning system for severe thunderstorms
- Pick a safe place in your home for household members to gather during a thunderstorm This should be away from windows, skylights and glass doors that could be broken by strong winds or hail
- Make a list of items to bring inside in the event of a severe thunderstorm
- Make trees and shrubbery more wind resistant by keeping them trimmed and removing damaged branches
- Protect your animals by ensuring that any outside buildings that house them are protected in the same way as your home
Make Prepardeness Kit
- Water—one gallon per person, per day
- Food—non-perishable, easy-to-prepare
- Battery-powered or hand-crank radio (NOAA Weather Radio, if possible)
- Extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Medications (7-day supply) and medical items
- Multi-purpose tool
- Sanitation & personal hygiene items
- Copies of personal documents
- Cell phone with chargers
- Family & emergency contact information
- Extra cash
Call SERVPRO of Chesterfield at 804.378.2323 if your home or business experiences damages from a storm. We have the resources to handle any size disaster.
There's a reason they say we are "Faster to any Disaster!"
For more information, visit the Red Cross website: http://www.redcross.org/prepare/disaster/thunderstorm
Mold Removal vs. Mold Remediation
SERVPRO of Chesterfield has been remediating mold in homes and businesses for over 30 years. Since microscopic mold spores exist naturally almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors, removing all mold from a home or business is impossible. Many restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold. This is a fallacy. We understand mold and mold growth. SERVPRO of Chesterfield has the training and expertise to remediate the mold in your home or business.
It is important, especially after a water damage, to quickly address any signs of mold in the home or business. If there is moisture present, growth can start in as little as 48 hours. If not addressed in a timely manner, mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants. Mold can also produce a strong, musty odor, and that odor can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
If you discover mold in your home, don’t hesitate to call the professionals who will abide by a remediation process:
- Contact - (804) 378-2323
- Inspection and Mold Damage Assessment
- Mold Containment
- Air Filtration
- Removing Mold and Mold-Infested Materials
- Cleaning Contents and Belongings
Soot from a fire damage can have a big impact on walls, appliances, and furniture. Be sure to have your belongings cleaned as soon as possible to limit the potential damage soot can leave behind. SERVPRO of Chesterfield takes the time and diligence necessary to make sure everything is cleaned properly leaving no residue behind to stain. We understand how important it is to save a customer's personal items and return them back looking better than ever. That's why we invest in the best technology in the restoration industry to do just that! Our new ultrasonic content cleaning system is designed to carefully and thoroughly clean items affected from smoke and soot damage. Everything is transported in carrying baskets to cut back on human errors.
Water Damage Safety Tips
Safety Tips When Water Damage Occur: Do
- Shut off water source if possible
- Remove as much water as possible by mopping and blotting the saturated area
- Wipe furniture to remove excess water
- Place aluminum foil between legs and wet carpet
- Prop up wet furniture cushions for even drying
- Lift drapes off flooring, loop through a coat hanger and hang on curtain rod
- Remove wet area rugs
- Move valuable paintings, art objects and photos to a safe, dry place
- Open closet doors, furniture drawers and luggage to aid in drying
- Remove any wet fabrics and dry immediately
- Hang furs and leather goods to dry separately at room temperature
- Use your household vacuum to remove the excess water
- Use electrical appliances while standing on wet flooring or carpets
- Go into any room where the ceiling is sagging
- Wait to call for professional help. The longer you wait the more damage will occur
Prevent Carbon Monoxide Exposure This Upcoming Winter
You Can Prevent Carbon Monoxide Exposure
- Do have your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.
- Do install a battery-operated or battery back-up CO detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. If the detector sounds leave your home immediately and call 911.
- Do seek prompt medical attention if you suspect CO poisoning and are feeling dizzy, light-headed, or nauseous.
- Don't use a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove, or other gasoline or charcoal-burning device inside your home, basement, or garage or near a window.
- Don't run a car or truck inside a garage attached to your house, even if you leave the door open.
- Don't burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn't vented.
- Don't heat your house with a gas oven.
Tis The season For Safety
The NFPA reports local fire departments respond to an average of 250 Christmas tree related fires each year, with a majority of these fires caused by electrical problems. Make sure to take precautions this year.
- If you have an artificial tree, be sure it is labeled, certified, or identified by the manufacturer as fire retardent.
- If you choose a live tree, pick a tree with fresh needles that do not fall off when touched.
- Make sure the tree is at least three feet away from any heat source, like fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents or lights.
- Make sure the tree has plenty of water everyday.
- After the holidays, properly dispose of your tree. Dried-out trees can be a fire hazard and should not be left in home or garage, or placed outside the home.