Soot from a fire damage can have a big impact on walls, appliances, and furniture. Be sure to have your belongings cleaned as soon as possible to limit the potential damage soot can leave behind. SERVPRO of Chesterfield takes the time and diligence necessary to make sure everything is cleaned properly leaving no residue behind to stain. We understand how important it is to save a customer's personal items and return them back looking better than ever. That's why we invest in the best technology in the restoration industry to do just that! Our new ultrasonic content cleaning system is designed to carefully and thoroughly clean items affected from smoke and soot damage. Everything is transported in carrying baskets to cut back on human errors.
Never Too Early to Prepare for Nasty Winter Weather
Before Winter Storms and Extreme Cold
To prepare for a winter storm you should do the following:
Before winter approaches, add the following supplies to your emergency kit:
- Rock salt or more environmentally safe products to melt ice on walkways. Visit the Environmental Protection Agency for a complete list of recommended products.
- Sand to improve traction.
- Snow shovels and other snow removal equipment.
- Sufficient heating fuel. You may become isolated in your home and regular fuel sources may be cut off. Store a good supply of dry, seasoned wood for your fireplace or wood-burning stove.
- Adequate clothing and blankets to keep you warm.
- Make a Family Communications Plan. Your family may not be together when disaster strikes, so it is important to know how you will contact one another, how you will get back together and what you will do in case of an emergency.
- A NOAA Weather Radio broadcasts alerts and warnings directly from the NWS for all hazards. You may also sign up in advance to receive notifications from your local emergency services.
Download FEMA’s Be Smart. Know Your Alerts and Warnings for a summary of notifications at:www.ready.gov/prepare. Free smart phone apps, such as those available from FEMA and the American Red Cross, provide information about finding shelters, providing first aid, and seeking assistance for recovery.
- Minimize travel. If travel is necessary, keep a disaster supplies kit in your vehicle.
- Bring pets/companion animals inside during winter weather. Move other animals or livestock to sheltered areas with non-frozen drinking water.
Prepare Your Home
Tips for Preparing your Home for Winter Weather
- Keep cabinet doors open during cold spells. This allows warm air to circulate around pipes.
- Keep a slow trickle of water flowing through faucets, especially if the pipes for faucets run through unheated or non-insulated areas of your home.
- Consider shutting off outdoor faucets. Find the shut-off valve in the basement or crawl space and turn it to "off."
- If you follow the previous step, then open the outdoor faucet to help ensure it drains completely and the inner valve is shut off.
- Ensure gutters are clean and secure. Leaves and debris accumulate, causing a damming effect on gutters, which could lead to roof problems and water damage.
- Proper maintenance of your furnace can help reduce the risk of puffbacks.
Highly Trained Technicians
Why Choose SERVPRO of Chesterfield?
- Locally independently owned and operated, with the headquarters established in Chesterfield
- Consistently recognized in the top ten of 1,700 national locations
- Ranked 4th SERVPRO® Franchise in 2015
- Named Franchise of the Year in 2008
- More than 30 years of experience serving our local community
- Second largest franchise on the East Coast - Extreme Team Bahen
- Excellent reputation with homeowners, insurance companies, business owners, facility managers, local and state government agencies and commercial property management teams
Company and Technician Certifications:
- (NADCA) National Air Duct Cleaning Association
- (EPA) Lead Certified Firm
- (IAQA) Indoor Air Quality Association
- (IICRC) Institute of Inspection, Cleaning & Restoration
- (CDS) Commercial Drying Specialist
- (WRT) Water Damage Restoration
- (ASCA) Air Systems Cleaning Specialist
- (ECTP) Employee Certification Training Program
- (CMR) Council-Certified Microbial Remediator
- (OSHA) Training & Compliance
- (VCMR) Ventilation System Mold Remediators
- (ASD) Applied Structural Drying Technician
- (FSRT) Fire & Smoke Damage Restoration Technician
- (CVI) Certified Ventilation Inspectors
- (AMRT) Applied Microbial Remediation Technician
SERVPRO of Chesterfield is always here to help with any post-construction cleaning needs.
If your business was just built or went through a renovation, who do you call to cleanup the mess that was left behind? It is so important for a business to open as quickly as possible after a major project or renovation. SERVPRO of Chesterfield is always here to help with any cleaning needs.
Along with out restoration and rebuild services, SERVPRO of Chesterfield provides customers post-construction cleanup services. Our professional, and highly-trained team will tackle everything and anything that needs addressing.
- Light fixures/fans
- All trimmings
- Air Ducts, vents, baseboard heaters
- Any trash or plastic left behind
IF your property needs a thorough, post-contraction cleaning, call the trusted professionals at SERVPRO of Chesterfield at 804-378-2323. We can handle any size, no matter how big or small!
Safety Tips- Water Damage
Safety Tips When Water Damage Occur:
- Shut off water source if possible
- Remove as much water as possible by mopping and blotting the saturated area
- Wipe furniture to remove excess water
- Place aluminum foil between legs and wet carpet
- Prop up wet furniture cushions for even drying
- Lift drapes off flooring, loop through a coat hanger and hang on curtain rod
- Remove wet area rugs
- Move valuable paintings, art objects and photos to a safe, dry place
- Open closet doors, furniture drawers and luggage to aid in drying
- Remove any wet fabrics and dry immediately
- Hang furs and leather goods to dry separately at room temperature
- Use your household vacuum to remove the excess water
- Use electrical appliances while standing on wet flooring or carpets
- Go into any room where the ceiling is sagging
- Wait to call for professional help. The longer you wait the more damage will occur
Moisture Control is Key to Mold Control
- Keep humidity levels as low as you can—no higher than 50%--all day long. An air conditioner or dehumidifier will help you keep the level low. Humidity levels change throughout the day as changes occur in the moisture in the air and the air temperature, so check the humidity levels more than once a day.
- If you see condensation or moisture collecting on windows, walls or pipes ACT QUICKLY to dry the wet surface and reduce the moisture/water source. Condensation can be a sign of high humidity.
- Be sure your home has enough ventilation. Use exhaust fans, which vent outside your home in the kitchen and bathroom. Make sure your clothes dryer vents outside your home.
- Fix any leaks in your home’s roof, walls, or plumbing so mold does not have moisture to grow.
- Clean up and dry out your home thoroughly and quickly (within 24–48 hours) after flooding.
- Remove or replace carpets and upholstery that have been soaked and cannot be dried promptly. Consider not using carpet in rooms or areas like bathrooms or basements that may have a lot of moisture.
Air Quality in Your Home or Business
Why is it important to be knowledgeable when it comes to indoor air quality? Indoor air often contains higher concentrations of hazardous pollutants than outdoor air; however, the good news is that everyone can reduce indoor air pollution.
According to the National Safety Council:
Over the years, buildings have been made more airtight to conserve energy. A variety of methods have been employed to keep the hot or cool air from escaping from our homes: installing storm windows and insulation; applying caulk and weatherstripping to seal cracks and other openings; and heating our homes with kerosene, wood, coal, and natural gas. Unfortunately, when we trap in hot or cool air, we also trap in pollutants and sometimes generate more.
On average, people spend about 90 percent of their time indoors. Sixty-five percent of that is spent at home. To make matters worse, those who are most susceptible to indoor air pollution are the ones who are home the most: children, pregnant women, the elderly, and those with chronic illnesses. Children breathe in 50 percent more air per pound of body weight than adults do. EPA studies have found that pollutant levels inside can be two to five times higher than outdoors. After some activities, indoor air pollution levels can be 100 times higher than outdoors.
Children may be more susceptible to environmental exposures than adults and, because of their developing systems, particularly vulnerable to their effects. Asthma is a case in point. About 4.2 million children in the United States, and more than 12.4 million people. A recent study, published in the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine concluded that 65 percent of asthma cases among elementary school-age children could be prevented by controlling exposure to indoor allergens and environmental tobacco smoke (ETS). By controlling biological contaminants (e.g., dust mites and cat allergens), asthma cases could be reduced by 55 to 60 percent.
Therefore, it is crucial to have your HVAC system in your company building and in your home professionally cleaned. This will reduce the circulation of dust, pollen and other contaminants that could affect people who are more susceptible to these effects.
SERVPRO of Chesterfield is professionally trained to thoroughly clean out air ducts and provide your family or company with clean air.
For more information, please visit: https://www3.epa.gov/airnow/airaware/
Water Takes the Path of Least Resistance
When you look at the water on the floor of your living room, all you see is what's on the surface. Soaking up the water yourself is not the best idea to fully safe your floors and sub floors from damage.
When you call SERVPRO of Chesterfield, a trained Project Manager will access the situation using specific tools to determines what materials and contents are wet, and how wet are those affected items.
The Project Manager employs several instruments to monitors conditions at the job site.
The Hydrosensor Moisture Probe is a durable, reliable sensor that measures 31" in length and was designed for detecting moisture in carpet and pads. The sensor features an ergonomically designed handle, stainless steel tubing, and retractable nickel-plated points.
The moisture probe has two prongs on the end. Typically, the restorer will only us this instrument on carpet because it can leave marks on the wall. This instrument will only determine if a surface is wet, not how wet.
The #791 Delmhorst HT-4000 Thermo-Hygrometer is a stand-alone thermo-hygrometer for building inspection and restoration contractors. The HT-4000 has the same fast acclimating RH/T sensor found in the Navigator Pro 3-in-1 Moisture Meter. For those who prefer having separate meters, the HT-4000 is the solution. The HT-4000 Thermo-Hygrometer's sensor is also detachable, making this meter ideal for testing a concrete slab.
The penetrating meter will tell us how wet the surface is. However, the restorer will want to use this device in an inconspicuous place because it to can leave marks on a wall.
We also have a non penetrating moisture meter which can be used anywhere!
Esporta Soft Contents Cleaning
When you have a water damage in your home, typically the floors, walls and ceilings are affected. Not only does SERVPRO take care of the water damaged structure, but we also clean the affected contents in the home as well. Whether it is clothes, stuffed animals, shoes, purses, etc., SERVPRO carefully packs up the contents and brings them back to our facility to be cleaned.
SERVPRO of Chesterfield has state-of-the-art Esporta cleaning system on-site that can make water damaged, mold damaged, and even smoke and soot damaged items look like new again. When the SERVPRO of Chesterfield crew arrives to your home after a damage has occurred, our trained professionals with pack up each affected item and thoroughly clean the contents to be delivered back to the customer. This is so important for customers who have items they would rather try and restore rather than replace.
SERVPRO of Chesterfield has been fighting fire and water damages for over 30 years and we will continue to make our customers happy by restoring their home as well as their personal contents.